Wednesday 29 October 2008

I Voted Early

I sent my ballot in last week, as you get to do as an early ballot voter abroad. I'm grateful that I still can vote, even though I don't live in the States at the moment. I'll always be American and I'll always be concerned what's happening in my beloved country.

I feel that as an American, we can be much more educated voters than people have the opportunity of being in the UK. I do feel it's important to educate ourselves and not just vote for what our parents vote for. I found a great website to help you in making an educated decision in who you vote for, as the time is at hand. Forget all the campaigning and the drama of the commercials, which I'm grateful to miss out on. Read the issues, compare the ideas of the candidates, and vote accordingly!! I found a great website to compare the candidates with the issues. You can read about the issues, quotes from the candidates on the issues, and even see what their vote on the issues was. Very helpful!!

http://www.ontheissues.org

I vote as a resident in the state of Arizona. I'm grateful that as an American we get to vote on propositions that directly affect us in our own States. I voted "Yes" on prop 102, to define marriage as being between a man and a woman. We need to make a stand for our morals, whole heartedly, so that things are not watered down for our children's children. I sympathize with my family in California who are labouring intensively to get a "Yes" vote on prop 8. If you do go to compare the issues with the candidates on the above website, it's easy to see what the candidates opinions on this (and all) issues are. McCain got my vote, although he's more liberal than I would like on some issues. Obama comes across as not having a conservative bone in his body, though. It'd be better if we were to have Biden as our President, which is why Obama chose him. I don't really want to get into too many issues on my blog page, as this is not what I intended for my blog to consist of. I just feel there has never been a greater need for us, in particular those who are members of the church, to make a stand!!

Happy voting! I only hope that we still have a chance!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jamie I cant agree with you more. I LOVE BEING AMERICAN! And even though I live in the UK America will always be my home. We are so lucky to still be able to vote even though we are not there. I know what you mean about Prop 8 my family and friends are doing the same. I have many member friends who are saying vote no and I keep asking how can you vote no on this issue and still feel worth of a temple recommend? I did a blog entry about it in fact. You are right about Biden as well. He would make a great president which I agree is why Obama chose him. And you are right also about the fact that as member of the church we are needed to vote. I actually feel like this is the first time since I have been voting where the issues are so black and white the marriage thing for example either you are for it or against it. We have the Lord on our side so I am sure we will prevail. And if not it doesnt mean the church isnt true I think it just means the second coming is getting closer and closer. Have a great Thanksgiving with your family!!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Excellent in voting although not in the States. I have lived here for 17 years and still do not have my citizenship finalized, but am now in the process of doing so. This is my home, and the nation that I love. I feel at such a loss come election time when I am unable to vote. I am always frustrated with those who don't choose to vote when given the opportunity. I am very interested in who will lead this country, and look forward to the day when I can help with that decision - where every vote counts.

BTW, excellent choices on voting. My twelve year old asked me the other day how you someone can reconcile voting for someone who believes in so many moral issues that we disagree with. Sometimes, kids are wiser in these things.

The Hoffmans said...

I completely agree with your thoughts! The election is really critical and having voting education can only benefit your personal vote!!

Maria said...

Jamie,

Good for you to post on the politics that are going on. I am too nervous to share my political views because I am not sure I want to hear the feedback. I agree with you though 100%!