Monday 10 November 2008

Remembering...


This was meant to be posted yesterday, but I was having some technical problems with my broadband. I still thought it was an important post to include, as we should always be remembering.


I've never been a soldiers wife whilst her husband was away for months on end, struggling with children on her own, and the horrible feeling of not knowing if he would ever come home to her. I've never been a daughter or grandaughter, who's experienced what it would be like to have the closest men in her life in the same circumstance, although I am a daughter and grandaughter of a loving father and grandfather who've sacrificed the same in Vietnam and World War II. I have been a sister to a hero of a brother who did leave his wife and 2 children (at the time) to sacrifice his very life in Iraq. I know that, although, they've all come home safely, they have all sacrificed their lives in the sense that their lives would never be the same again, and they did it for me. These are the heroes I'm remembering today. Whether we agree with the wars or the politics behind it, the fact remains that our brave soldiers and their families are sacrificing all that they have so that I can enjoy the incredible liberties that I have. I'm so grateful to them. They are my heroes!


*I didn't have a picture of my grandfather, but the top picture is my brother Brett and his wife Beth. The bottom picture is of my mom and dad when they were engaged and he was off to Vietnam.

5 comments:

Dorey said...

What a great tribute. =) That picture of your parents is awesome too, it doesn't look that old. =)

Unknown said...

I agree what a great tribute. I think this is what remembrance day is all about. It is important to not just see it as another day but to actually pay tribute to those who have sacraficed to give us the freedoms which we all enjoy.

Monica said...

Thanks for connecting to my blog. It is great to get caught up on your life in UK. You have beautiful kids - and wow a 4th one on the way, congrats! Thanks for your tribute in this post - we owe alot to our soldiers!

Maria said...

Thanks for keeping it in perspective for me! I don't have any family that is in the military and think I get it until I read your post. You can't understand unless you are living it! Thanks for the post!

Pam said...

Love the pictures! And I ditto what you said. They are heroes!